I had to darken some of my darkest purple with purple fabric ink because I needed a darker shade. Next I added the third purple shade of fabric. Here I made a mistake and was glad the fusible was not fully attached. Usually my pieces are numbered 1-6 with one being the lightest, but I did it opposite this time. I’ve been working at short intervals and came back to do the next layer and thought I forgot some places because I forgot how I numbered the piece. I added more of the second darkest fabric where I should have put the lightest fabric. Anyway, here is a picture of the mistake and then the correction. I also found that my next color is a bit to close to the number 5 fabric and I need to go shopping for another shade. I usually number and letter all my pieces so I know where they go. Not wanting to waist the time I just numbered by shade and am having to spend lots of time figuring out which piece is which. I will not make this mistake again.
I am trying to keep a record of the “Do Not Weep” quilt. After completely starting over with new designs I chose a new color scheme. Each woman will be a different color from light to dark of that color. Woman one is purple. After sketching her and assigning color value, I made a copy on double freezer paper.
Next I cut the woman out of heavy weight stabilizer. I then cut her out of medium purple about a 1/2 larger and wrapped that around the stabilizer and glued the edges down on the back. The next step was to cut out the darkest value from the freezer paper and fuse them on the fabric. I cut out the shapes, added fusing and positioned them in place using the holes in the freezer paper as guidelines.
That’s as much as I worked on so far. I did finish the the eight points for the mariners compass block for the star quilt, and picked out fabric for the 6 remaining houses in the “Strolling the Block” quilt. Next I must cut out all the fusible pieces.
Below are some pictures of a small quilt I made as a friendship gift. It is made of words printed on fabric from the computer, then the fabric was dyed and had pieces of colored tissue paper added. I thread painted the tree and then made a quilt sandwich and free-motion quilted with invisible thread. The edges were finished with zigzag stitching.
Projects: 2 quilts for my son’s who graduate from Morehead State University in May. The youngest is getting a quilt of 12 inch star blocks and a larger mariners compass in the middle. The older is getting 12 house blocks decorated for the seasons. The applique on this set is all hand stitched.
Next I am working to complete my praying the passion series. I have four quilts of 13 planned quilts finished. Prayers and scripture verses will be added as standing plaques.
Finally I want to work on quilted journals, and a variety of small art quilts. (less than 15″)
My newest studio arrangement is working great. It is once again a complete disaster, but my tools are always where they are suppose to be. Yeah!
My daughter has posed for my bible women. Below is one of the poses. Each pose has been posterized and then put in gray scale. Each of the five women will use 5-6 values of a color. Other faces have been put on the images so all 5 women look different. I have drawn enlarged copies on news print and now will begin transferring this to freezer paper.