dyeing with cherries, more 3-d cubes

I’ve spent a lot of time this week looking for two fabrics I’ve miss placed. Finally found one of them and cut out the rest of the large 3-d cube blocks. I could not find any more of the light yellow nor do I have one to substitute that show up enough. I’ve decided just to remake the yellow cubes with a different light and different medium.

I prepared the fabric for the dye boiled down from black cherries by boiling and simmering in salt water and then rinsing. I wrapped two fat quarters of unbleached muslin on pvc pipe and put them in a tall narrow jar. Then I poured the cherry dye over them, put it in a double boiler and brought it to a boil and turned it off. Since the dye didn’t cover all the fabric I added about a table spoon of ome old turquoise dye to the fabric sticking up. I let it sit over night and rinsed them this morning. They are out drying on the line. When it cools down I will rinse them again. It is a nice purple shade.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s