Deconstructive fiber art

I’ve decided to use those bit I dug from the ground from my compost dyeing disaster. I have 5 different fiber art pieces inspired from these bits. I am combining them with bleach discharged fabrics, burlap, cheesecloth and other loose weaves. The plan is to add lots and lots of hand and machine stitching. Here are photos of my starter ideas. They still need to simmer awhile so i will go back to working on my other ufo’s.

Natural dyes – New baby

My second grandchild arrived this morning around 4am.
It’s a 7lb girl!

I’ve been busy with too many projects. Was given a small loom and am trying that out. My long arm quilting is improving with practice, the bottom stitches are looking as good as the top.
I’m still collecting material for natural dyeing. Worked with magnolia seed pods which give a nice variety of peach and tans. Goldenrod gave a nice soft yellow. The most surprising effect was adding ammonia to turmeric.
Here are some pictures.

All though I loved the rust color reaction, it dried bright yellow.

Power Suits

Power Suit Art Quilt Challenge
I’m part of something BIG! Little did I know that when I accepted a challenge package that more than 100 artists would respond. Here is the website that talks about the challenge and lists the artists Power Suit Quilts

The opening reception is on October 22 at Artistic Artifacts. The quilts will be displayed through November 23, 2011. I will be able to post pictures of what Power Suit means to me on October 23. I have 3 quilt in this exhibit. Stay tuned.

Here is what we received to work with:
Each artist received a free packet of materials containing fabric swatches (wool and cotton samples), a necktie, and some random buttons. They could use the fabric we gave them, supplement with their own fabric, or use only their own fabric.

Read about how this challenge got started on Cyndi Souder’s blog